September 10, 2017

simple is best

When I scroll through Pinterest and Instagram,
it seems as though the most pinned or popular photos are those that depict simple, clean, quiet, moments.

Cotton, gentle light, wood, a white cup of steaming coffee, books, home baked goods = peace.

I realize these photos are staged but that doesn't mean I don't think it's possible.
If you look closely, a lot of the elements of these scenes are very expensive - the houses are expertly renovated and can be found situated closely to wooded or ravine areas (that aren't scary or horror movie-like). Or acreages. With land.
The rooms are spacious and simply furnished.
There is no clutter or disturbance.
The sweaters are cashmere.
The expressions, peaceful.



the pots are copper




there's lots of white.


but that's not reality. 
We all know it but still we strive for - what exactly? Perfection?

Peace?

Sometimes I get really freaked out by how much stuff we have. 
By how much I have.

By the clutter and dust.
By the cat fur.

I don't think I can curate my life to look like these photos.

But simplicity is something I've been thinking a lot about as we transition into the fall - one of my favourite seasons for it's sensory experiences. The cool air, the smell of wood burning. Apples. leaves crunching. It's all so satisfying.
But usually with the change of season comes new trends and looks and the urging to buy buy buy so you look the part.
I've done that.
I've even been tempted to do it again. Recently.

But here's the thing - buying all of those things doesn't make me feel better (well, maybe briefly). It doesn't make me better or more interesting.
And I've realized that consumption is a big thing for me.
Food.
Things.

I know I'm not unique with this.
I'm Canadian. We do this a lot.

But I've realized that I don't want to anymore.
I want to slow it down. Do one thing at a time.

Don't pick up the phone first thing in the morning.
Take the time to scratch my kitty's ears.
Look out the window.
Read.


Keep it simple.

Because at the end of the day, how much of the race do we remember if we don't stop to take it all in.
To look around and actually see.
And even, maybe, find a little peace.




No comments: