January 01, 2016

all is quiet


Much to our surprise, we actually stayed awake until midnight last night.
We spent the evening with friends at their house - had an early dinner (fondue!) 
because their daughter is only 6 and generally goes to bed long before the witching hour.
And so we had our fondue, played a rousing game of Cards Against Humanity (which never disappoints in shock and hilarity) and before we knew it, found ourselves at 11:36pm.

We cracked the champagne,
turned on the tv to Times Square, 
(realized how out of touch I am with pop culture when I couldn't identify any of the hosts
or even Gwen Stefani, for that matter. What's up with her? She looks totally different.)
And quietly ushered in 2016.

We drove home on relatively empty streets and were in bed by 1:15. 
I couldn't tell you the last time I stayed up that late. 
Probably during an evening of talking and whiskey drinking with my brother. 
But I digress, as usual.

Today was quiet too.
Fella went out to his favourite coffee shop to do some writing
I stayed in bed with coffee to finish my book and cuddle the cats.

We decided to head out in the afternoon and go for a walk. 
It had been snowing, still relatively novel since we have had an unseasonably 
(read: wonderful) fall and early winter. 
(I already resent the snow and ice. and wish it gone. It's just so - messy.)
We were both tired so we weren't exactly chomping at the bit to get out
but we thought it would be best for our mental health so we hit the road.
We didn't know where we were going.
We were sure we would find something.
Toronto is a big city and today there was almost no traffic.
Just gigantic snowflakes.

We ended up in the east end of the city,
It was beautiful. 
We were there for a couple of hours.
By the time we got back to the car
my cheeks felt slightly windburned and I was hungry.
We came home, made a pizza and relaxed.

I know. This story is really boring.
What is my point?

It's this -
I'm glad it's a new year.
I decided yesterday that I was done with resolutions. 
They result in disappointment and a sense of failure. 
And who needs that?

But to be honest - there are things I'd like to do this year.
To become. 
But they aren't resolutions.
Just...wishes. 
Or perhaps, promises to myself.
And maybe there's a little hope thrown in, 
to give the whole mix a bit of flavour.

The end of 2015 was hard
and later, I'll maybe say more about that
and how it's left it's mark.
I'm still trying to understand
and to find a place to hold one (terrible) thing that happened.
 I'll let you know where I land.

But happy new year.
2016. 
A lot could happen.
You never know. 




No comments: